Tuesday, September 1, 2009

MIESVILLE, MN

Today was a very surprising day. I wasn't surprised at how tired I knew I would be at the end of the day, but I was surprised by the walk and what resulted. No rides today.

I started out from Minneapolis and thru Hastings down Hwy 61 headed toward Red Wing. The plan was to get that far today, but that was asking for a lot after a weekend of enjoying the MN State Fair, good food, Twins game, and friends and family. So, I really had no idea where I would end up.

In Hastings, I had a good breakfast at the Red Rock Café. It seems the coffee is getting better as I go along. Anyway, as I was preparing to leave, several gentlemen asked what I was doing and where I was headed. I explained my trip and they wished me luck.

Out the door I went and straight for the highway. It was a VERY busy road and I was anxious to get off of it, so I took a detour down a perpendicular state road which took me to a campsite, Greenwood Campgrounds. I was low on water so I decided to stop in and refill. A nice lady, Linda, met me at the main cabin and explained that this campsite wasn't for backpackers, but for RV's and mobile homes. That was alright, I just wanted water anyway. She showed me where the hose was and then proceeded to ask if there was anything else, but before I could say anything, she mentioned a restaurant in Miesville, MN "just down the road." She also stated they made the best burgers.

Well, I took her kind advice and headed for Miesville. It was around noon and I was hungry after logging all the miles to this point. I followed the state road I was on until I ran into Hwy 91 and headed south. I hadn't realized that "just down the road" meant 8 or 9 miles.

I slogged into town around 3:00 pm and instantly saw the restaurant, King's Place. http://kingburgers.com/ I sat down and was brought a menu and could NOT believe how many burgers they offered, over 45 and counting. I had the waitress choose for me and it was a fine selection. It was a 1/2 lb, bleu cheese and French burger with all the fixings. The side was battered green beans with ranch dressing. I have never had them before and I highly recommend them. It WAS the best burger I have ever had!

The waitress asked about my backpack and I explained what I was doing. I then asked if there was a place in town to spend the nite since I was too exhausted to continue on to Red Wing. She said she would ask around and returned within 5 minutes. The owner of the restaurant, Jerry, offered the back yard to me. I gladly accepted, set up my gear, cleaned up and proceeded to post my blog to the internet. The owners also found fit to feed and water me for half price. Thanks to King's Place and the staff for all the attentiveness, kindness, and hospitality!


What a pleasant, tiring, and surprising day! These small towns are turning out to be as I had hoped; friendly, understanding, and accommodating.

4 comments:

  1. So you are on the road . sounds like you are at a nice place. Maybe you will have an offer of a ride tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be safe. Sounds like you are having a good time. I love reading your blog!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did not get to tell you goodbye when you left Minneapolis. We wish you a safe journey and God speed. It was so good to see you over the weekend.
    Aunt Tootie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try this again. (I tried to pst smthng lst nght but I don't see it anywhere) Tootie (my mom's sister and my dear aunt) told me about your blog last sunday when I talked with her. She gave me the link. I know some of your relatives on Jay's side. Don't think I met your mom, know Earl from when he and I used to bum at T and J's in Pierre. I didn't know Tootie stayed up so late, by the way (I saw her pst).

    Best Wishes on your walkabout. i wish godspeed, too. Curtis Loesch, Huron, SD

    ReplyDelete