Saturday, September 12, 2009

OREGON AND STOUGHTON, WI

I left Madison bound for Oregon, WI as I had previously planned and was feeling pretty good about my route. I wouldn't be on major highways any longer; I would be traveling on county roads. As I slowly made my way out of Madison along their lakefront bike trail, I gave a look back on the WI state capitol. It was a nice city and they maintained their downtown district impeccably with plenty of pubs and restaurants, but I never discovered what other entertainment their beautiful city might have provided. I did notice, however, a large number of people on the trail enjoying a beautiful day and maintaining their physical fitness. I don't know if it was because it was a weekend or due to the Iron Man Triathlon being in town. Whatever the reason, Madison does have a lot of beautiful people.

3 miles down the road, I ran into a lot of people wearing red shirts emblazoned with "Wisconsin" somewhere on them. I was getting hungry since I hadn't eaten breakfast before I left town and there were no cafes on my route through Madison. So, I stopped into the first restaurant I saw, The Coliseum Restaurant. I entered and found out why the streets were full of people wearing red; The University of Wisconsin was playing Fresno State (WAC rivalry) in Madison. It was noon and I ordered a reuben sandwich and watched the game up until halftime. Then it was time to move on. WI won the game in double overtime (13-10).

The road looked familiar, but staying on county roads did feel a lot safer and the shoulders of the road were very walkable. With today's destination only another 12 miles away I was feeling really good. This was all about to change.

As I continue my walk into Oregon, I was very surprised that no one had stopped along this route to ask if I needed a ride, if I were alright, or what I was doing. This had happened on numerous occasions thru SD and MN.

Upon arrival, I notice a nice downtown and a small café. I stop in for dinner at around 5:00 pm. There is group of friends sitting nearby, so I ask if they know of any place I can set up my camp. They stated they weren't necessarily from there. Michelle was from a small town outside of Oregon and Scott and Kirsten had just moved to La Crosse from upstate NY. They did their best, offered maps, and actually called friends to see what they could provide, but all to no avail. I thanked them, they departed, I finished my meal and decided it was time to try another tactic.

I went to the local watering hole just down the street, entered, received a LOT of terrible looks from the bartender and everyone else (all dressed in red) and didn't receive any better information. Now I have had to resort to the final option; I usually use the cafes, restaurants, and pubs to get information and then have a result, but not this time. I receive information from the bartender about where the police station is. I take this info and head that direction.


As I approach City Hall, I see the city fire dept and about 5 men are standing outside discussing "the weather." I politely interrupt, introduce myself, and ask them for info. They are very hesitant and are looking at me as if I am a serial killer. Only one offers information, but as the conversation progresses, they find out I am a retired Marine and they all then relax. Well, their advice isn't any better. They recommend heading into Stoughton which is "only" 9 miles away. I thank them and head back down the road, tired, but having eaten, I am in pretty good shape if not happy considering the route to Stoughton was supposed to be completed tomorrow.

Again, no one pauses to assist (I really didn't expect it, but it has happened over the trip) and I increase my speed because dusk is drawing near. I departed Madison at 11:00 am, paused at noon for lunch for an hour, then walked another 3 hours to arrive in Oregon at 5:00 pm (14 miles.) I started out for Stoughton at 6:00 pm and arrived at 8:00 pm after an additional 9 miles. My normal rate of speed is a steady 3 miles an hour with stops every hour to rest and change socks. During this last leg, I had increased my speed to 4 miles an hour and made only one stop to rest. Needless to say, I arrived in Stoughton late and exhausted. It was my first 20 plus mile day and it truly felt like the hikes I used to do as a US Marine. I don't want to have to repeat a leg similar to this again.

I checked into the Comfort Inn and went straight to the hot tub. I feel better now and all is well. Tomorrow is another day of excitement the type of which only WI can deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment