Thursday, September 17, 2009

ILLINOIS

Pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111926&id=672758511&saved#/album.php?aid=111926&id=672758511

It was time to leave WI behind and progress into IL. I was anxious to see what the Land of Lincoln might have to offer.

It wasn't long before I was approached by a vehicle asking if I needed a ride. This was followed shortly by another vehicle inquiring into whether I needed assistance, refreshment, or directions. My fortune does really have appeared to have changed already and this was only 3 miles into the state.

I turned down all offers because the weather was a beautiful 70 degrees with sunshine and I was feeling really good about this part of the trip. My positive attitude would become essential later in the day.

I continue down IL Hwy 251, which was more like an interstate hwy, and follow it for about 10 miles before it turned east into the Rockford suburbs. Actually, the whole leg of the trek felt like I never left the suburbs; a lot of traffic, stoplights on the hwy, and plenty of gas stations to provide assistance. It was difficult simply to find a spot of shade to rest and change my socks.

My journey continues and along the route I see several campsites available, to include a state park, Rock Cut. I am committed to getting to downtown, so I pass them all by.

When I finally reach the northern section of town, I decide to stop into an Applebee's and see what information can be provided. The waitress is polite, but can't offer any information on camping or hotels near downtown. Her statement was, "I live here, so I don't know these things." Interesting. I then resort to my Blackberry and Google. No results. All the campsites I located and contacted closed at 5:00 pm. It is already 7:00 pm, so I look again for a place to stay.

I have resorted to a stay in a cheap hotel in downtown, but there aren't any. Now, maintaining my positive attitude, I continue my search and finally find the Sweden House Motel advertised on the Rockford website which did prove to be very useful.
http://www.gorockford.com/default.asp I make the phonecall, they have availability, and they are VERY reasonably priced. I pick up my gear and head back down the road. It's only another 4 miles!

I arrive at the Sweden House Lodge Motel, check-in, and proceed to my room.
http://www.swedenhouselodge.com/ Please let the photographs speak for themselves. *Miriam, PLEASE tell me that these are not the European accommodations I can expect when I visit Sweden.

I am surprised about the limitations of lodging available in downtown districts. All the hotels appear to be located on the interstates. Have we become such a fast paced culture that we can't take the time to enjoy "town?" Do we really need all the Wal-marts, Applebee's, and other franchise chains to make our lives easier? Where are we going and why are we trying to get there so fast? I think about this a lot on this trek.

I am still maintaining my positive attitude and all I can do is laugh at myself today and feel good about the direction this trip is going. It's a whole new state with all new experiences ahead. I am looking forward to Chicago!

1 comment:

  1. You can expect MUCH nicer hotels in Sweden, and besides when you decide to visit Sweden one day you will of course be staying at our house!

    ReplyDelete