Friday, September 25, 2009

ROCHESTER, IN

The road to Rochester was a hard one. It is only 15 miles away, but would be a difficult leg. The weather throughout the day remained cool, but progressively became more overcast which further led to precipitation. It drizzled most of the way and as I entered Rochester, it started to rain. I wasn't able to get as many pictures of downtown because of this. The downtown was very similar to most towns this size I have seen. The population here is around 6000.

I see a Chamber of Commerce so I decide to ask inside if there is any place to stay. There is a campground, but it is another 3 miles west of town. It is then explained that there are 3 hotels in town and all only 3/4 of a mile south; a Super 8, Comfort Inn, and a locally owned Rosedale Motel are all collocated. I thank them and continue on in the rain opting for a nice dry shelter compared to a wet tent another 3 miles away.

As I get further south of town, I see the urban landscape change. Rochester is where Old Hwy 31 and the new fourlane Hwy 31 merge. They merge right where the hotels are located. Interestingly, there are NO hotels in downtown however, this has been the norm in most of the towns I have travelled thru. This is definitely a trend I wish would change. So, now I am headed into that area of a town which I loathe. I head to that area off of the main hwy where all the businesses are located; all the Wal-Marts, Applebees, and multiple convenience stores. Oh well, it is all that is available.

I first go to the Comfort Inn; no vacancy. I then check the Super 8; again, no vacancy. Throughout it is explained that they are all full because of the Notre Dame game and some youth event taking place in the area. I then opt for the last place available in town, the Rosewood Motel.

I meet the proprietor and her two kids and they are more than helpful even if the motel is substandard by any stretch of the imagination. However, it is reasonably priced and is actually the same price as it would have cost to stay at the campsite. If I had thought the Sweden Inn was Spartan, I hadn't seen anything yet. Please see the photographs on my Facebook account.

I spend the nite, do a load of laundry, and am glad to get back on the road in the morning. I am feeling a little stiff, but it is only 13 miles to Perrysburg, IN.

Note: In keeping with the Halloween theme, I met a gentleman who explained the Rosedale Motel was the backdrop for a real life crime that resulted with the owner of the motel being hacked to pieces and placed in a water softener container by the manager several years ago. http://www.indy.com/articles/crime-courts/thread/court-cuts-sentence-in-motel-murder

No comments:

Post a Comment