Thursday, September 3, 2009

RED WING TOUR

What a great day! There were sights to see everywhere. Most of them were within walking distance and those that weren't were accommodated by the waitress from the previous nite, Lori. She drove me thru most of the city so I could see all the old Victorian homes and also the natural terrain features that make Red Wing so amazingly attractive.

As we drive around, she explains the old buildings and points out a hotel on Main St. I had no idea there was a hotel in the old downtown. I immediately asked if we could ask about room availablity, I would like to check in for the day. They have a room available on the 3rd floor of this 5 floor hotel so I check in, go to my room and feel like I have been thrown back in time. It is amazing. The hotel is the St James and it was built in 1875 and has been in operation ever since.
http://www.st-james-hotel.com/new/start.php

Photos are located here:
http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.php?aid=108007#/album.php?aid=108007&id=672758511


Other sights:
Great views from Barn Bluff and Memorial Park
Goodhue County History Center
Levee Park and Train Depot
The Sheldon Theatre

The evening involved dinner from the Port of Red Wing located in the basement of the St James. I had the filet mignon which was excellent and then headed to the top floor of the hotel to relax in Jimmy's English Pub. Met a few kind people and enjoyed visiting with all of them and hear their thoughts on Red Wing and the surrounding area. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment