Saturday, September 5, 2009

LAKE CITY

I continued on my journey along Hwy 61 directly alongside the Mississippi River until I almost reached Lake City.

I was probably 3 or 4 miles out of town when an oncoming vehicle passed me and honked the horn as it went by. I took little notice of it other than to wave (it happens often enough; motorcyclists tend to be the friendliest) and continue on my walk. Shortly after, the same vehicle passes me going in my direction and pulls over in front of me. I am not averse to accepting rides, but I always approach cautiously. This was no different.

I walked to the passenger side and peered through the open window. To my relief, it was one of the friends I had made the nite before at Jimmy's Pub. It was Jen, one of the many who were participating in a grand wedding in Miesville (yes, the same town where I had slept in a backyard) and reception at the St James Hotel (the hotel where I loved staying). She graciously offered me a ride the rest of the way into Lake City. What could I say?

She took me all the way into town and dropped me off at the campgrounds. I thanked her profusely for the ride and hoped that she and her group of friends would enjoy the wedding festivities. She wished me well on my journey and then departed. Much thanks to Jen. I appreciated your very kind words of support and encouragement. For you, continue to run and pursue life's goals.

After checking into my campsite and setting up, I walked over to the Skyline on Lake Pepin Restaurant and Lounge where I met a fine gentleman whose name was Rick. He was a well traveled man and we had a nice conversation about the world and what it has to offer while enjoying a meal of fresh caught blue gill and twice baked (smoked) potatoes.


Skyline definitely offers superb dining and the staff was excellent. http://www.skylineonpepin.com/ Rick then introduced me to the owners, Duane and Becky. We enjoyed a couple of cocktails and then it was time to head back to my campsite across the street.

This trip keeps getting better and better. Final note...as I progress across the US, the coffee just gets better .

1 comment:

  1. Keep on coming down the Mississippi and visit me and Chris in the Quad Cities! Man, I'm half-tempted to drive up there and see if I can find you roaming on the side of the road since I know you're not going to make it down this far! If not, I'll be headed toward Chicago in about 10 days so maybe I can catch you then. Take care.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete