Monday, September 7, 2009

MORE FRIENDS

"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields, And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand."

The Labor Day holiday wasn't over and I spent the evening at Slippery's Pub with Zac and Ashley. They had to continue on their vacation and after a dinner of walleye and skillet potatoes, it was time for my new friends to depart. Again, I appreciate our friendship and I thanked them for all they had done for me. Mahalo Nui Loa!

Shortly after their departure, a young couple approach me and offer to buy me a shot. I accept and they explain they overheard my conversation about my adventure and felt compelled to meet me. I was so glad they did!

I join Jon, Nat, and Sarah for the evening. Oh, they also have a dog and her name is Riley. We sit and visit thru the evening and they offer me a boat ride to their campsite on the river. Again, I can't say no. Jon walked with me over to Wally's RV park where I had already set up and as I load my backpack, Jon simply picks up my tent with everything inside and states that it will all fit in the boat "as is."

We meet the girls outside the pub and head to the dock. Jon has already placed the tent in the center of the boat. We board and are off into the dark and up the river to their site. Once we arrive, we establish my site, improve on theirs and start a fire for the nite. I then break out my ukulele, engage in fantastic conversation, and thoroughly enjoy s'mores!

Bed time came late and we ALL refuse to look at the time. We crawl into our tents for the nite. As morning comes, we awake and they reemphasiz their offer to get me further down the river. I find it difficult to refuse all of the good friends I have met and their kind offers, so again I accept.

They get me as far as Winona, MN and then we say our farewells. Thanks to Jon, Nat, and Sarah (say hello to Riley for me.) I had a great time with you!

1 comment:

  1. Oops Darin you forgot what day it is.Weds is tomorrow. Ha. sounds like you are haing fun. Love Aunt Lyla

    ReplyDelete