Friday, September 18, 2009

DOWNTOWN ROCKFORD

Pictures here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112673&id=672758511&saved#/album.php?page=1&aid=111926&id=672758511

Before I departed the Sweden Motel, I called Diana, an old Marine friend of mine that I had contacted several days earlier and whom I planned to visit, and asked if she would be willing to pick me up in Rockford since she lives in the Chicago area. She confirmed that she would and would be glad to show me around Chicago but she wouldn't arrive until around 6:00pm. So, with this information, I decided I would hike the 5 miles into downtown Rockford to see what their city might reflect.

As I walked thru the eastern part of town from the highway and the Applebee's / Walmarts, the town slowly changed from gas stations to beautiful Victorian's. Most of these homes were very well maintained and continued to improve the closer I got to town.

Near the Swedish Hospital (actual name) I came upon a bus stop and as I passed, a gentleman asked if I had a light. I instantly responded with a no and an apology, but as I took several more steps, I remembered I had a lighter for my campstove in the top flap of my pack. So, I turned around, walked back to the man and offered him a light if he would be so kind as to dig into the top flap and find it. I mentioned it would be located in a gray bag. Well, he found something gray and he immediately apologized after realizing it was my wallet. I directed him to the opposite side of the pocket and he found the bag, pulled it out, and found the lighter. I helped him light his cigarette, he replaced the contents back into my pack, thanked me kindly, and I was back on my way. I did not get his name.

After this encounter, I awaited the changing of a street light and from the adjacent street corner, an elderly man came across the crosswalk in his wheelchair. He was missing both legs and was working frantically on the wheels to move himself forward and across the street before it changed back to "do not walk." I curse myself for not thinking or moving fast enough to assist him. As he passed in front of me, he must have noticed my slight movement toward him because with a huge toothless smile spread across his face, he said, "Thank you, good luck to you, and godbless." It made me pause.

After this brief encounter, I shortly ended up at the outskirts of town and started taking pictures of the breathtaking architecture. I continued down East State St until I came upon an old broke down movie theater. Three men were outside and quietly observed me taking pictures. After I took a couple of shots, one of them asked how I was doing and if I were going to use the pictures for a book. I couldn't believe he already knew my plans, so I took a few moments to visit with them.


I didn't inquire into their situation or why they were just hanging around outside an old theater; it was apparent that they lived in the grand apartment building across the street (the Faust) and they also commented that if I liked the theater, I should definitely take pictures of their building. I thanked them for their interest, we wished each other luck, they allowed me to take their picture, and I was again on my way thru town. Again, I failed to acquire any names.

Note: I may have to take some time to get to know some of these people better and ask a few more questions. They obviously live in these downtowns I am exploring and they may have some interesting insight. If nothing else, I have found most people do have a story to tell; I am not so naïve as to think my story is the only interesting one.

The rest of town transitioned from remodeled and maintained structures to well worn and neglected buildings. It wasn't based on location or businesses occupying the area. The city, I noticed, does have a project to improve the district and are in the process of creating a city walk.

I walked all the way thru town, took many pictures, admired the buildings, especially the old theaters, and then made my way back out of town.


As I made a particular turn up one of the side streets, I noticed some younger men hanging out on a fire escape and were watching me intently. No comments were made, only simple eye contact was exchanged. Just ahead were two men sitting on a stoop and I approached a little apprehensively. As I drew near, one of the men stood up and came toward me to extend his hand in greeting and said, "we meet again Mr. Backpacker." It was the gentleman only 2 hours earlier I had helped with a light at the bus stop. I greeted him warmly and we said our farewells for the second time that day. He must have caught his bus.

I probably don't need to mention neither the conditions some of these men I have encountered appear to be in nor the neighborhoods in which I was walking. By this time, you can let your imagination clarify these specifics.

The rest of the afternoon went without incident and as I headed back up State Street, I found an English Pub (of course) and stopped in for a beer. It was the Red Lion Pub and most of my friends in Hawaii will remember our version of the Red Lion on Lewers St in Waikiki. Suffice to say, this pub did not have a window looking into a swimming pool behind the bar.

I visited with the bartender, Sherry, and she spoke with me about Rockford's downtown, the improvements they have been working on for the past 4 years, and the direction it is all going....very slowly. She also mentioned how the highway seems to destroy a lot of the commerce that could be coming into town. Along with that I added how there were NOT any hotels located in downtown. She knew this, but never really gave much thought as to how that could or would affect business. She found it interesting. So, if there are any investors reading this blog, here is a prime opportunity to take some capital and put it into an old building in downtown Rockford, take a risk, and help to improve this fine city. I will be the first to check into one of your rooms. The St. James Hotel in Red Wing, MN is a perfect example of how to do it right.

After the pub, I moved on to the Carlyle Brewing Co. to sample some of their beer brewed on premises. Magnificent. Not only do they brew fine beer, it is all they serve (besides wine) within their establishment. How refreshing is that!

While I am enjoying my beverages, I receive several text messages and a phone call from Diana and she says she will arrive in Rockford in about an hour. I have more time to enjoy my beer, visit with the staff, and compliment them on their establishment. I did not get an opportunity to meet with the brewmeister, maybe on another visit.

Diana arrives in town on time, picks me up and we head out of Rockford, destined for her residence in St Joseph, MI.


Within several days, I have traveled from WI into IL proceeding by car thru IN and into MI. What an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment