Wednesday, September 9, 2009

LA CROSSE SIGHTS

Photos here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=109481&id=672758511&saved#/album.php?aid=109481&id=672758511

I have finally made it across MN and now am into the 3rd state of my journey, appx 400 miles later. To celebrate, I took to the streets of historic downtown La Crosse and, as usual, was pleasantly surprised by the sights, sounds, and the hospitality of the locals.

First stop was to The Wine Guyz shop. http://www.wineguyz.com/ They served hors d'oeuvres, but I declined and decided to enjoy a glass of red wine prior to my evening meal which I had no idea where I was going to get. The wine is served and I have an opportunity to meet the owner, Dan. We talk about my trip, his shop, and where to eat in the town of La Crosse. As we discuss this, several nice ladies across from me overhear our conversation and offer me a glass of their wine. I initially decline, but they stated they were driving and didn't have enough to take home. I then accepted; anything to help someone out. After a brief conversation with all, I decide to eat at Piggy's. Don't let the name fool you.

I enter Piggy's restaurant and am completely shocked and surprised by the décor and ambience which was very luxuriant. http://www.piggys.com/ I head up the staircase for dinner and am met by Colin. He seats me next to a window overlooking the street and I work my way thru the menu. The filet mignon was recommended and I was not disappointed. It was honestly the BEST steak I have ever eaten. Until this point, Assagio's in Kailua, HI had served me the best; that was a 10 year standing record which now starts over with Piggy's version of filet mignon. Thanks to Colin for the recommendation and the information for a place to get a beer. He recommends Bodega Pub and Grill and to look for Alicia, their bartender.


I head further into downtown and find Bodega's on 4th St. Keep in mind this is one of the oldest and best maintained downtowns I have seen so far on this trip. It beats Red Wing only because it is almost 3 times the size. I head inside, belly up to the bar and meet Alicia. She greets me with the menu of over 400 beers! I enjoy a few and then proceed to meet many friends and enjoy their conversations about travel, school, education, books, and movies. Jeff and PJ were very interesting and I enjoyed their input.

I depart and head back to my hotel, but before I get home, I have one more task at hand. Several men are screaming at each other in the street and their "girlfriends" are in a panic. I thought it was a normal fight until they started saying they were going to kill each other, literally. I walked past, they tried to get me engaged, I proceeded on and walked to the closest street corner to get my bearings while calling 911. The young lady on the phone was patient and took all my information. Within seconds 3 police cars were instantly patrolling the area. She allowed me to get off the phone and I went to the hotel for the nite. Enough excitement for this part of my trip.

Thanks to all the fine people I have met in La Crosse. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment