Sunday, September 20, 2009

CHICAGO

It was finally time to visit the "windy city" of Chicago and take in the sights. There was so much to see, I will have to return.

It was as breathtaking as I had imagined, but the part I could never have imagined was that a city as large as Chicago could be and would be so orderly, clean, and well maintained. There wasn't a single piece of trash in the streets. The buildings appeared to have been built only several years ago, and the people were NOT what I had expected at all; all were very courteous, polite, and considerate.

Now I have started taking into account the "homeless" and "needy" and noticed that they were as courteous, polite, and considerate as Chicago's more fortunate citizens. They were also clean and non-intrusive / obtrusive. I actually felt bad not giving hand-outs.

I still need to work on making and taking the time to visit with these people, but with a smile, a nod of the head, or a wave, a simple acknowledgement of their existence seems to make a slight difference in their lives. They at least return your acknowledgement with a similar gesture or comment. I do believe I was approached by every single "needy" person on the street in Chicago this day. Either I look like a nice guy, a tourist, or a sucker. I am not certain which. I prefer the nice guy reference. Maybe I will ask next time.

Please take time to look over the pictures on my Facebook account. They will say much more than my words can.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112673&id=672758511&saved#/album.php?aid=112673&id=672758511

I am speechless, stunned, and amazed after visiting Chicago. It does appear to be "my kind of town."

I thoroughly enjoyed the Hancock building visit where, on the 96th floor, I enjoyed cheesecake, a cocktail, and a beautiful sunset.

http://www.johnhancockcenterchicago.com/

Before returning to MI, Diana and I stopped at Pizza Uno, home of the first "Chicago Style" pizza. Absolutely amazing.
http://www.unos.com/

Note: The Chicago Bears did beat the Pittsburgh Steelers on this NFL Sunday while I was in town; this makes a perfect winning record for the team's whose towns I have been visiting. This includes the Twins, Packers, Fightin' Irish, and the Bears.

*Keep in mind, the Lions did not win while I was in MI, but they actually were first to put points on the scoreboard while I watched the game and ate pizza at the Silver Beach Pizza Co. in St. Joseph, Michigan.
http://silverbeachpizza.com/

2 comments:

  1. I knew you would love Chicago. And you are absolutely dead on with your observations. It's a very clean and friendly city. It's a big city with a small town feel. I miss it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really got a good picture of the city with that shot, bro! I'm not as popular as you, but you can follow my Blog too! Then I will have at least one follower...

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete