Monday, September 7, 2009

WABASHA, MN

Zac and Ashley dropped me off at a dock in Wabasha, MN and promised they would meet me for dinner once they return the boat rental. I head up the dock to Main Street and have no idea where I am going to spend the evening. This is a holiday weekend and nothing appears to be open. As I walk toward a café I notice an American Legion Post and decide to stop in and inquire about a campsite in town.

As I enter I immediately meet Mike and we visit about why I have a pack on my back. I state that I need a place to bed down for the night. He offers me a beer and then offers me his business property which sits on many acres as a place for the nite.
http://www.loonlakedecoycompany.com/ The site is out of town and there would not be any facilities or a place to eat before I head back down the road. I appreciate the offer, but must decline.

Another gentleman sitting at the bar introduces himself as Vern and says that the local campground in town is run by a man named Wally and he may have room. With the help of other friends sitting at the bar, they explain how to find the site.

I meet Wally in his RV at the site and he is full, but allows me to set up my tent in his yard. I then have time to meet Zac and Ashley for dinner at Slippery's Pub and Restaurant which served as the backdrop for the movie "Grumpy Old Men."
http://www.slipperysumr.com/

Also here in Wabasha is the National Eagle Center where they rehabilitate injured eagles. What a majestic center.
http://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/

Thank you to the fine residents of Wabasha for their immense hospitality. I wish I could have spent more time in Wabasha, but winter is coming. I can tell because the trees are already starting to change from green to yellow, orange, and red.

No comments:

Post a Comment