Friday, September 4, 2009

THE SHELDON THEATRE

I had heard from the locals that the Jordan River runs beneath the entire town of Red Wing and they stated it could be seen in the basement of The Sheldon Theatre. I headed down the street to the theatre and briefly stood outside. Upon entering, I looked to my right and there was a young gentleman speaking with a nice lady who was inside the ticket booth. I paused for a moment and then the man moved aside so I could approach the booth.

She was kind enough to say hello and then asked if I needed anything. I stated that I would like to see the theatre, take some pictures, and if possible, see the mysterious river. Her immediate response was, "No. That's impossible." I then explained my backpacking adventure, but she still held firm that it wasn't possible.

As she speaks, the gentleman that was visiting with her previously made his way into the ticket booth and while he proceeds to sit down, the young lady states that she is the only one in the theatre on that day. Well, I had just watched this man walk into her booth and casually take a seat, so I ask who he is. She appears to be slightly uncomfortable and then starts to fidget with the scarf around her neck. She didn't quite come up with any coherent explanation.

During this, the man then interjects that someone could probably show me around, but first he planned to give the girl a ring he had in a little black box in his hands. Unbelievable! I had walked in on a marriage proposal and he had just moments earlier asked her the "question." She only had time to nod her head and didn't get an opportunity to say "yes" before I walked into the theatre to request to see the river. Amazing.

I apologized and asked if I could take their photo to commemorate the occasion and then I would move on to viewing the theatre while he completed his proposal. They agreed to the photo, we introduced ourselves; he was James and she was Chelsey. They then promised they would show me around immediately after. We all laughed at such an interesting situation. I just hoped her response wouldn't be the immediate "no" that I had received upon asking to see the Jordan River.

2 comments:

  1. HERE ARE SOME PICS FROM LAST WEEKEND. THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY. KEEP THE BLOGS COMING.A.TOOTIE/Users/jayruckdaschel/Desktop/DSCF6635.JPG/Users/jayruckdaschel/Desktop/DSCF6634.JPG/Users/jayruckdaschel/Desktop/DSCF6633.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for helping me to remember my purpose!!
    You have a great spirit and are truly blessed...never forget that.

    The question of the day is..... "why not"??

    ReplyDelete