Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Beginning

It has been a month already since Lubi and I made the decision for me to retire from the United States Marine Corps (official date of 30 Sep 2009--exactly 22 years and 16 days from 14 Sep 1987 when I stood on the "yellow footprints" of MCRD, San Diego, CA.) We went over all the options to ensure we would be able to enjoy life and it was a simple decision considering how miserable I have been over the past several years.

It hasn't been due to being in Okinawa, Japan for the past several years, constantly away from friends and family. To the contrary, we enjoy Okinawa living well enough. It has to do strictly with the work I have been doing. For years, my fellow Marines that had made the decision to retire would constantly state, "when it's no longer fun anymore..." They were SO correct. I know that it is time.
The title of this blogsite is, "When I Grow Up." What do I want to be when I grow up? That is the question at hand and in order to answer it, I must ask myself several other questions.
1. Who am I?
2. Why am I?
After many discussions with Lubi, we decided the best way to do that was not to take another government job and go right to work, but rather take some time off to think. I am hoping in my "walkabout" to answer the not so obvious two "simple" questions so that I can move on to something interesting, entertaining, and enjoyable in my next career. I look at the Marines as not simply a closed chapter, but a closed book with the intent of starting a new one with all new chapters. Some of the characters will remain the same, but that will be where the similarities end; this is not a sequel.
Stay tuned for further postings. I hope to make an entry a day to keep myself focused and inform anyone who may be interested in "growing up" some insight and assistance in their endeavors. I will close this post with a mantra for this adventure--"Ask. Believe. Receive."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Darren,

    My name's Curtis Loesch, Huron, SD and nephew of Tootie and Jay. Tootie's my mother's older sister. That's the connection. I know Earl fairly well (have not, to my recollection, met your mother) and a few of your other relatives (Alice and Luella? come to mind). My Aunt Tootie and Aunt Mollie, who lives in Huron, happened to be talking last Sunday when I was at Mollie's house. When I spoke with Tootie, she mentioned your blog and I said, "Send me the link." So, I've read most of your posts by now. Basically, just wanted to say I admire your walkabout, and as my Army Drill Sergeant Castro (a mf'ing crazy Philippino sob, which I mean with utmost respect and manly affection) said, "Drive On!"

    Best Wishes. If you decide to live in Minneapolis some day, maybe we'll meet there.

    Godspeed.

    Curtis L. Loesch

    ReplyDelete