Tuesday, August 18, 2009

9 Aug-Today: SOUTH DAKOTA


I left AZ early on 9 Aug (Sun). This is also the un-official first day of my civilian life. I say unofficial, because my OFFICIAL retirement date is 30 Sep 2009. However, I have been released from the Marines without any possibility of going back. I will always remember 14 Sep 1987 as the day I left for the Marines and 9 Aug 2009 as the day I left the Marines.

As I was about to land in Sioux Falls, SD, I remembered that I departed for the Marines from this same airport; I am returning to the same town in the same state I left behind 22 years ago.

Being "home" is very interesting. Not much has really changed. The radio stations play the same music. The landscape looks the same. All of the people are exactly the same and this puzzles me; the older citizens must have all passed away after all these years, but they seem to all have been replaced by the next generation. They wear the same clothes and appear to do the same things. Interesting.

I have spent my days with more relaxation. I try not to think of problems, issues, or worry about others problems. This has become difficult due to all the "spare" time. I prefer to go fishing, read my books, update my blog, and visit with friends and family.

I first drove down to Sioux City, IA to catch up with my cousins, Lana and Devlin and their families. When I left for the Marines, they didn't have families, now they have a LOT of kids between them.

After IA, I headed for Watertown, SD where my mom and dad, Michelle and Earl, live. We all got together with my remaining brother and sister, Ricky J and Heidi, and had dinner at Dempsey's Pub.

Now, I am in Sisseton, SD visiting with my aunt and uncle, John and Laurie, and also my grandparents, Basil and Phyllis, from Pickstown, SD. All are ready to celebrate my retirement. Hopefully, my Aunts Lyla and Donna will join us since I missed the Ruckdaschel Reunion earlier this summer.

Spending time on Lake Kampeska and testing out my Trek gear has been fun and bolsters my confidence in my upcoming adventure. I even caught a walleye on my first fishing trip. I will try again later this evening on Lake Traverse.

So, now that my Urban Trek is about to begin, stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment