Monday, October 5, 2009

1-5 OCT: INDY TO EDINBURGH


There aren't many significant events to report. I have posted photos to Facebook of Franklin, but besides meeting a few friends, it has been pretty much the same sights and travels as started earlier in WI; a lot of walking, fields, and hotels.

I departed Indy and was headed 12 miles down the road to Greenwood. I walked thru downtown Indy and about 3 miles into the southern portion of town I saw an "IndyGo" sign with a busline that identified bus #31 that would take me to Greenwood.

While I waited I walked over to the railroad bridge and met another homeless gentleman named LA. Yes, he made clear to me he was from LA. I wondered and asked why he would be in Indy and he responded that he thought there would be work. This is a major belief of most of the homeless I have met in town. We wished each other well, my bus arrived, and I was on my way to Greenwood.


he bus stopped every block to pick up or drop off a passenger which made a 10 mile trip last almost 40 minutes. We looped around the Greenwood Shopping Mall and I was the last person on the bus. The driver then asked where I was going. I mentioned downtown and his response was that this was his final stop. Alright, so I get off at the mall, yay.

I instantly see BJ's Pub, so I head there since I seem to have the best luck with offers for help in pubs or bars. I enter with my pack, meet the hostess, Stacy, she hears my story and offers me a ride all the way to Franklin, another 10 miles south, if I don't mind waiting until 4 pm. It is now 3 pm. No problem. I head over to the bar, glad to not have to walk another mile, and order a BJ's Octoberfest beer.

I watch the Twins play the Tigers for the pennant race, drink a couple of delicious beers, and check my watch. It is 4:10 pm. I glance over at the hostess desk and there is a new girl. I approach her and ask if she has seen Stacy. She informs me she has already left for the day. Hmmm. I can't blame her. She was young and pretty and probably had second thoughts about helping out a stranger; actually, she probably freaked out.

Well, I need a few things, so I go into the mall to pick them up a; instant coffee from Starbucks and headphones for my iPhone (Apple makes good products, but their earphones stink). I go to Radio Shack and pick up my earphones and then head to Starbucks for my coffee where I meet several nice ladies, Amber and Jill. They ask what I am doing with such a big backpack, hear my story and want to help by offering assistance, but it may take some time to coordinate; perhaps until after they get off work later in the evening. I politely decline; I can't hang around the mall all day, so I pick up my coffee and decide to get a bite to eat before I look for a hotel in Greenwood for the nite.

I happen across a TGIF. I enter, sit down, visit with the bartender, search for a place to stay, visit with him about my trip, and a few moments later, a gentleman from across the bar apologizes for eavesdropping, but can't help to ask about my trip. His name is Josh and I meet his fiancé, Bret. He says I have to meet his good friend, CJ, who is planning a 25 mile run from Franklin to Indy. Of course, I accept the offer and after they eat, we are on our way to Franklin for the nite.


Josh and I visit about the trip, life, and careers. He is a social worker and I enjoyed our conversation before he drops me off at the Comfort Inn. We decide to get together on the following evening, Fri, to visit further and so I can meet their friends. Ironically, Bret is a bartender along with her twin sister, Brooke, at the Grill Pub in downtown Franklin. I give my thanks and turn in for the nite.

The following day I decide to check out the downtown and also see the movie Zombieland; a great movie for the Halloween holiday. This idea results in a 3 mile walk to the movie theater and after the movie I walk back into downtown. I arrive at the pub around 5 pm and instantly meet Bret. She states Josh would be by later.

During this period, I meet CJ, Steve, Steve, Juice, Manila, Larry and several other friends and acquaintances of Josh and Bret. It was a good time and I then walk the last several miles back to my hotel. Thank you to all in Franklin for your hospitality.

The following day was a quiet one. There was a Fall Festival in town, but I didn't feel like walking another 2 or 3 miles back into town, so I stayed in my room, relaxed, and watched the Notre Dame game. At this point after several days of rest and still having aches and pains in my lower extremities, I am getting a little concerned about the extent of my injuries. I fear it may be several potential stress fractures. As I have mentioned earlier, the pavement is really taking its toll on me and I have been getting what I think is adequate rest, but certain pains persist. I will continue to take it easy this week and see what develops.

Sunday arrives, I strap into my boots, put on my pack, and I head back down the road, Hwy 31 south. All feels good until I reach about the 5 mile point. I take time to change socks and rest, but the tarmac is really causing problems. It is hard to lace my boots. By the time I reach Edinburgh, only 14 miles away, I can barely walk. I check into the Hampton Inn, hobble to my room, drop off my gear, watch the Sun Nite football game, and then go to sleep. I will see how I feel in the morning.

I feel refreshed come the morning, but my feet really hurt. I have decided to rest one more day and potentially come up with an alternate plan to get to Louisville, KY if I don't feel any better by Tue, 6 Oct. I will keep you all posted.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get some good rest and feel better soon. Sorry we couldn't help you out with Matt's brothers in Franklin, bu tit sounds like you had a good time anyway.

    ReplyDelete