Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MELANCHOLY

Mel-an-choly [mel-uhn-kol-ee] noun:

1. a gloomy state of mind, esp. when habitual or prolonged; depression.
2. sober thoughtfulness; pensiveness.

That is the word of the day; my last day in Okinawa. I have feelings of moderate depression, definitely pensive, but not apprehensive. I am excited to be starting something new and anxious for it to begin, but it leaves a lot behind. I can't honestly imagine what it must be like on death row awaiting the day that your life will end, let alone that day arriving and having to deal with the emotions that inevitably accompany that. That is kinda what I am feeling...like looking at things for the last time. Combine this with all the reflection I have been doing over the past weeks and you understand the definition as stated in number 2 above.

Anyway, today's picture is of the wine that my lovely wife, Lubica, sent for me to celebrate with during this last day in Japan. I appreciate the sentiment and it is perfect for the emotions I am feeling.
KAMPAI--Cheers--Nosdravia!!!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you worked death row into your soon-to-be retirement reflections. Instead, think of it as being a newborn and all of the wonders that incurrs.

    I remember my thoughts (see definition #2) at retirement and it was quite unnerving. It will take you a good six months to realize you are really a "civilian" and then grow to love it. All of us are with you, my brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed the wine!!! It was not the 1947 we drank on our one year, but it was for you to enjoy no matter what. I love you.

    ReplyDelete