Monday, July 27, 2009

COUCH SURFING



I recently found this site thru friends who have traveled and mentioned I should join up. That was the best advice any of my friends have ever given me. I have simply sat back and read the posts and continue to be further inspired and committed to my own upcoming personal "sojourn."

I think everyone is on their own personal quest, journey, or adventure and I am also aware that EVERYONE has an agenda. An agenda isn't a bad thing, you just must ensure that it is YOUR agenda.

I have been reading the threads and have now felt compelled to write a quick post. I am in my early 40s, retiring from military service, and instead of doing the obvious, which most friends and family are encouraging me to do, I am turning away from govt work and hope to never return again. I do have the fortune of having healthcare and a pension provided, but I have also accumulated debt and several mortgages (but no car), and must use a large portion of my pension (if not all) to continue to pay them. So, I will technically be traveling with little or no money...and that's the way I want it.

My journey will begin in two days. I will leave Okinawa, Japan (where I have lived for the past 3 years) and visit my adopted state of HI for a few days. I will then travel on to CA where I must go to separate from the military. After that, it is back to my homestate of SD for a BRIEF visit and then I am backpacking across the US from SD thru MN (1st leg) then into IL (2d leg) continuing south to TN (3d leg) and finish by meeting my best friend who lives in FL (4th leg).

After that? Who knows. I will set my sails with the wind and see where this "ship" takes me.

To all who have ideas of giving it all up and moving on with life, I commend you. For those that take action upon it, I admire you. Come join me anywhere along my journey if at all possible. I would be more than happy to join you for a coffee or a beer.

"Fair winds and following seas..."

DB Robertson



1 comment:

  1. This is a very fascinating post. I wish you the very best in your travels. May the path of happiness present itself. And may your heart be open to see it.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete